Saturday, February 21, 2015

On facing lies

This week has presented to me some very real challenges and some very ugly realities. There are parts of my life that are challenging all on their own. Life's true nature is to throw us things for which we could never even dream of being ready. Then there is a different type of challenge. This is the type of challenge I have faced this week. This type of challenge occurs when someone actually places themselves in a position against you - a position of attack. You find yourself being attacked.

What do you do with that? Do you get angry? Do you fight back? Do you wage full on assault against those that wait like the devil in the dark for their first chance to ruin you? Do you lay down and play dead hoping they'll just go away when they realize you've conceded? Do you actually concede? What do you do?

 I have experienced all of these emotions and asked of myself these questions so many times. I have found myself in the position of being attacked more times than I care to recall. It is really, really uncomfortable at best. On its worst days, you question everything about your life - all your choices.

This is what I have learned about myself. When I am attacked for a reason with no justification, I become angry. I live my life in a way that provides respect to everyone that I meet until or unless they prove to me that they do not deserve the freedom I have given to them to move around in my life. So if someone decides to threaten me and accuse me of doing anything besides that, I become angry. What makes me even more angry is when someone usurps their desires over the rights that have been bestowed upon me by the God of heaven and the governing bodies of this country. That just makes me mad......but I have learned to be careful about how I engage, and not just for the sake of negative ramifications that might occur if I were to let a person or persons just get a taste of what I've got to offer in the revenge department. I have learned that it's not just the damage that I could cause outwardly that should be the thing that prevents me. It is me. It is my own heart. 

I have to ask myself a few questions. 

1. Is the accuser correct in what they have to say? If the answer is yes and conviction is my reason for feeling defensive, then I need to reevaluate my thinking. If the answer is no, and the accuser is causing me to feel slighted and accused because they are lying, then I need to speak of them as what they truly are - a liar. 

2. Why is this person afraid of me? People most often lie when they are afraid. Is someone lying about you? You've made them afraid. If someone goes to what may end up being a great deal of trouble to smear your name or your efforts, you are doing something.....and you are doing something big. The harder you work, the greater your impact on the world and the greater your opponents. If your opponents seem to you to be giants, know that it is they who are in impressive company. They are there in response to what you have become - not the other way around. Don't you stop what you're doing. Don't you stop growing and loving and impacting your corner of the world. Don't you stop.

3. What harm can the liars actually do? Truth is an interesting thing. It isn't always noticed first. Sometimes the lies are really, really loud and sound really really believable....but they are always temporary. The shelf life of lies is never eternal. There have been scandals the truth about which was not revealed until all the parties involved were dead and in the ground for years....but it came to light. Know that. Truth is always stronger. If you are living truth, honestly and truly, then know that you too, are stronger. You are. The truth will come to light. Lies will always fall away, and you will find yourself to be vindicated in a way that does not require that you be malicious back to the ones who showed you their lack of character. 

These principles are hard to follow because the indignation we feel when we are treated in an unjust  way is so great. The thing I have to do, though is just stop and breath and remind myself of the truth. This is the only way to not just quiet your attackers but also to eliminate them. It is true that after one leaves, another will introduce himself into your life, but the harder you work to embrace truth, the less interruption there will be when this situations arise. Embrace that instead of the anger you may initially feel. Be productive in your response for the good of those around you but also for yourself. This is your one life! Make it a really beautiful one. 

Also feel pity for those that accuse you wrongly. They live in a way that does nothing but limit them when a life of so much more is well within their grasp. Look at them as you would a confused toddler that is throwing a fit. Poor kid....one day they'll understand. There may even come a day when, because of your steadfastness and level head, the very people that attacked you before come to you for comfort when they realize that they'd like to live differently. Make sure that you share truth in a loving way through your words and your actions. 

The thing I'd like you to absorb more than anything is that, while we never have the ability to control someone else's heart, the effects of what they do is solely and completely determined by us. Their lies will only ruin your journey if you let it. They can only make you to be inferior to them if you consent to that. They can only dictate your future if you choose to believe what they have to say.....so don't. 

Walk with your head up high knowing that you are royalty to the world - all of you. I dub you all kings and queens of your realms! Live in a way of grace because we just need more of that in the world, and it will give you more likelihood of healthy emotions later. Don't forget that, while lies are loud, truth lives forever. And don't forget this. You are loved. You are precious, and just because you face opposition does not mean that what you're pursuing is flawed. It means that it's big. So go dream your dreams, my kings and queens. Go change the world, and by all means, rise above anything that threatens you because the truth is on its way.

3 comments:

  1. Sarah, I've been there in some shape or form and you are right on all accounts. Lies do not have an eternal shelf life. You've always been a beautiful person, but you look beautiful in a new and deeper way now......sort of inexplicable. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm glad you've found someone to love you for you. I knew someone in a similar situation to yours (just what I've deduced from your writing) and now, 4 years later, in a new marriage, she is so happy and has received genuine and whole apologies from all parties involved. I pray that vindication will be yours in THIS life. Best wishes. Anna

    ReplyDelete